A new era dawns beside the beautiful clock tower landmark on Mitchell Street as a new Aldi Store opens on November 21, 2013.
The clock tower was built in 1876 and is all that remains of the original town hall that was destroyed by fire.
In 1940, an entertainment complex owned by the Evans family that included the Tower Ballroom, Gaeity Theatre and a cinema, replaced the remains of the Town Hall.
The Tower Ballroom opened on New Year’s Eve in 1940 and was known as the Ballroom of Romance.
For more on the history of Tipperary Town. The Excel guide to the Heritage of Tipperary Town by Dr. Des Marnane is available at the Excel reception at €6.50.