The vast Marlfield Estate outside Clonmel, including Marlfield House, is up for sale, with a guide price of €8
The estate, which straddles the river Suir, has been owned by the Kent family for many years since it was sold by the Bagwell family in the early 1970s, and includes 390 acres. The house is owned by Denis English.
The Marlfield local area plan relating to the estate came into effect at the start of 2013 and has a six-year lifespan.
The plan includes an 18-hole golf course designed by Pádraig Harrington, the refurbishment of two farmhouses, the conversion of outbuildings into 11 residential units and the construction of 59 further homes.
There is also planning permission for a 139-bedroom hotel, conference centre, function rooms and leisure centre. To facilitate the development services including water, sewerage, gas, electricity, telecommunications and roads have already been put in place.
This development was proposed for the estate in recent years but has yet to proceed.
The original house was completed in 1785 by the 18th century Tipperary MP Colonel John Bagwell, a builder whose family accomululated considerable wealth constructing flour mills in Ireland after his ancestor had arrived with Oliver Cromwell’s New Model Army.
The house was regarded as one of the grandest Palladian mansions the country had ever seen (Palladianism is a style of architecture based on the writings and buildings of the humanist and theorist from Vicenza in Italy, Andrea Palladio (1508–80), one of the greatest and most influential architects of the latter 16th century).
Senator John Bagwell was kidnapped in 1923 during the Civil War by the IRA and held in the Dublin mountains, and the government threatened reprisals unless he was freed, while Marlfield House was set alight in the midst of the chaos. Once his freedom was secured Senator Bagwell rebuilt the damaged central block and the work was completed in 1925.