The Tipperary Association Dublin has presented a new trophy to the Tipperary County GAA Board to replace the Michael Hogan Perpetual Cup which is awarded to the winners of the county minor football A championship in Tipperary.
The new trophy was presented to the chairman of the county board, Sean Nugent, by the President of Tipperary Association Dublin, Liam Myles.
Speaking at the function, Mr Myles stated that the Association was delighted and privileged to be asked to replace the Hogan Cup. He went on to say that the Executive committee agreed unanimously and without equivocation to the purchase of the new trophy, which was supplied by John Quirke of Quirke Jewellers, Cahir.
“The Association is very honoured that the original magnificent trophy will be displayed in the GAA museum in Lár Na Páirce, Thurles” he concluded.
County Board Chairman, Sean Nugent, said that the Board were grateful to the Tipperary Association Dublin for the generous donation of the new trophy and he thanked them on behalf of the Board and GAA people in the county.
He went on to say that the Association in Dublin had never been found wanting when called on to support anything connected with Tipperary. The two receptions held in the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel in Dublin for the minor hurlers are the most recent manifestation of this. He wished the Assocvation well in the future.
The new Michael Hogan Perpetual Cup will be presented to the 2012 county minor football A champions.
The original Hogan Cup was presented to the County GAA Board by the Tipperary Association Dublin in 1958.
The cup was named after the famed Michael Hogan of Grangemockler, who was shot in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday November 21st 1920