A day that will be forever etched in the history of the people of Dualla was the official opening of the newly renovated and extended Dualla National School, a place that for many holds fond memories of their school days.
The school community worked for many months, making sure everything was in order for the ‘Big Day’ on June 15.
Former pupils, teachers, principals, board of management members and many parishioners with strong links to the school gathered to reminisce on the past and to admire the new and modern school.
It was a day of friendship, rejoicing and thanks. It was a landmark day in the history of education in the parish.
Dualla National School welcomed its first pupils in May 1861. The current students moved back into the new school on June 13, 2011 150 years after the first children entered. Fundraising effort secured one quarter of the necessary finance to fund the ambitious project. The board of management applied successfully for a grant under the Devolved Grant Scheme, which guaranteed the remaining three quarters of finance required.
While the new premises was being built, the school relocated to the parish hall across the road. Thanks to the work of the school community, the old building was successfully turned into a school for a year.
Read the full report on the school opening in The Nationalist, on sale tomorrow.