Long-awaited water scheme has started and will be completed by August 2016

editorial image
Minister of State Tom Hayes has rejected claims that work has not started on the Burncourt water scheme.

Minister of State Tom Hayes has rejected claims that work has not started on the Burncourt water scheme.

During a visit to the site at Glengarra last week, he confirmed that work began on January 5 and should be completed by August 2016.

The scheme will finally provide safe drinking water for residents in Burncourt and Skeheenarinky, Minister Hayes said.

He said forty homes continue to operate under a four year boil water notice in Skeheenarinky due to the presence of cryptosporidium in their supply.

“These works will eliminate that problem. Work began at the site on January 5 and will include the construction of a new abstraction works on the Burncourt River with the intention of supplying 2,600 m³ of raw water to the treatment works per day”, he remarked

Minister Hayes added that raw water from the Burncourt River will be delivered to the treatment plant by gravity flow and stored on site before being pumped through a DAF clarification process. Treated water will be pumped to a nearby reservoir before being gravity fed to the existing water supply network.

He said that despite claims that work at the site had not started, the scheme is well underway.

He added - “This work is due for completion in August 2016 and by that time, the households of Burncourt and Skeheenarinky will finally have safe and clean drinking water”.