Mass at ancient Donoughmore Church, Lisronagh

All are welcome to a special mass that will be celebrated at Donoughmore Church in the parish of Powerstown-Lisronagh at 7.30pm on Saturday, August 15.

All are welcome to a special mass that will be celebrated at Donoughmore Church in the parish of Powerstown-Lisronagh at 7.30pm on Saturday, August 15.

Donoughmore is very symbolic and represents a very important link back to St. Patrick and the introduction of the faith to the locality.

The word Donoughmore comes from the Irish words Domhnach Mór, meaning great church. Usually only churches established by St. Patrick were styled domhnach. Donoughmore Church is a later 11th or 12th century building, consisting of a nave and chancel arch and doorway of great beauty. It is on the site of an earlier Christian period monastery associated with St. Farrannan, both being associated with an abbey and monastic school at Lismore, the ecclestiastic capital of the region.

Donoughmore Church has been in ruins at least since the Reformation. The church stands on an elevated ridge and Fr. Power, who wrote the book Place Names of the Decies said it could be seen with the naked eye from the northern slopes of the Comeragh Mountains in Co. Waterford, as well as from the highlands of southwest Ossory. It has been preserved as a national monument since 1883.

Donoughmore Church can be reached by turning left at Lisronagh (from the Clonmel side), continuing past St. John the Baptish Church and travelling approximately one kilometre to the next junction and turning left.