Fears of an escalation of illegal dumping throughout the county after the refuse collection waiver scheme ends in November were highlighted at a Tipperary Town Council meeting on Monday.
The members were discussing a resolution circulated to them by Clonmel Borough Council, calling on the Government to outline how its intend to financially assist residents, who will no longer qualify for a refuse charge waiver when the scheme ends in South Tipperary on November 1.
The waiver scheme was set up and operated by the Co. Council when it controlled the refuse collection service but last year the service was sold to a private company.
“If people can’t afford to pay the refuse charges there is going to be more illegal dumping. I run up around Aherlow and I see a lot of illegal dumping as it is”, commented Mayor Ruadhri Devitt.
Cllr. Denis Leahy said refuse costs were getting more and more expensive all the time and this was going to be particularly hard on the elderly. He felt the refuse collection service should have been nationalised with everybody participating and pointed to a recent national survey, which showed that one in five households have no bins at all.
Cllr. John Hartnett also condemned the ending of the waiver scheme and accused the Government of abandoning the ordinary citizens in favour of bondholders and banks.
Cllr. Jacqui Finnan said that older people always put aside money to meet their bills and while they had the Waiver Scheme they were managing. But when it ends they will be under pressure to find that extra money.
She called on the Minister responsible to put something in place to help these people.
Cllr. Billy Bourke also supported the call to write to the relevent Ministers highlighting these issues.