Cashel Town Council were delighted to uncover a section of the old City Wall during footpath renewal on John Street, recently.
The foundations of what is a National Monument were identified by on-site archaeologist Mr. Dave Hegarty, working for Mary Henry Archaeology, Clonmel.
The section of wall is thought to have been constructed between 1319 and 1324 and is believed to be in the proximity of a gateway to the town.
The foundation stones were cleaned, photographed and documented before being carefully covered with sand and paving bricks. They will remain in situ for future generations.
Cashel town Council are proud to be members of the Irish Walled Towns Network, run by The Heritage Council and in recent years have been awarded substantial grant funding to carry out conservation work on the upstanding sections of the City Wall located at Feehan’s Road, grounds of St. John’s Cathedral, the rear of the Court House and at Main Street car park.
As a tourist attraction, the City Wall is sometimes overlooked, as it lies within the shadow of the famous Rock of Cashel. However, it presence adds significant depth to the richness of heritage and history that the town has to offer to visitors.
RIGHT: Deputy Mayor Cllr. Sean McCarthy, Archaeologist Dave Hegarty and council staff pictured at the site of the uncoved City Wall in John Street. It might not look very exciting to the untrained eye but its discovery is important as it pinpoints for the first time the location of the John Street Gate. Kneeling Dave Hegarty, L/R. Darby Mullen, (Engineer CTC) Dessie O’ Riordan, Dan O’Dwyer, Tommy Hayes, Cllr. Sean McCarthy, Anthony Hally.