Local man claims rally car hit his vehicle

A motorist has claimed that he was fortunate to escape death or serious injury as he drove home in the early hours of Monday morning when his car was written off after it was struck by one of two rally cars that passed him and failed to stop.

A motorist has claimed that he was fortunate to escape death or serious injury as he drove home in the early hours of Monday morning when his car was written off after it was struck by one of two rally cars that passed him and failed to stop.

Fred Stacey said he was returning from Clonmel to his home in Ballywalters, Cloneen at around 5.15am when his 1981 Mercedes estate car was struck by one of two cars that passed him on an s-bend on the road between Killusty and Kiltinan, about a mile from Killusty.

“I’m extremely angry about this, my blood is boiling. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was driving a solid car I could have been killed”.

The collision caused extensive damage to the side of his Mercedes.

Mr. Stacey, who said he was shocked following the accident, contacted the Gardai, who are investigating.

He said that he had also contacted the organisers of the Tipperary Stonethrowers Rally, which was held in the area earlier that day.