The History of St. Luke’s Hospital, Clonmel which was recently launched at the County Museum in Clonmel attracted a very large attendance.
A feature of the attendance was the large number of retired staff members present including family members of medical staff who worked in the Hospital over 8 decades. Present were Ann and John O’Dea, whose father Dr. J.F. O’Dea was on the staff from 1934 to 1970, Elizabeth and Barbara Egan, daughters of Dr. Tom Egan RMS in St. Luke’s from 1957 to 1964 and who pioneered the development of community nursing services in Co. Tipperary. Dr. Joseph Mahon travelled from Ardmore, Co. Waterford. His father the late Dr. Paddy Meehan worked initially in St. Lukes as Assistant Medical Officer from 1949 to 1957 and returned as R.M.S. in 1965 until his retirement in 1983.
The book was launched by Dr. Jim Morrison who succeeded Dr. Meehan as Chief Psychiatrist in 1983. Dr. Morrison who retired in 2001 was accompanied his wife Maura and family members.
The book has a very attractive cover featuring a photograph of the main building in St. Luke’s Hospital taken in 1863 by Dr. William Despard Hemphill. Dr. Hemphill was Consulting and Visiting Physician to the Clonmel District Lunatic Asylum for over 20 years and was still employed there in December 1888 – he was 72 years of age at that stage.
Dr. Hemphill was one of Ireland’s pioneering photographs and a formal opening of an exhibition of the photography of Dr. Hemphill took place in the Main Guard, Clonmel on Thursday, 3rd July. The exhibition runs up to the 31st July 2014.
Eamonn Lonergan’s Commemmorative History of St. Lukes Hospital, Clonmel 1834 – 2012 is on sale at Marian’s Bookshop, O’Connell Street, Clonmel price €15.00. The book is also available at the County Museum, Mick Delahunty Square, Clonmel.
Proceeds from the sale will be donated to the South Tipperary Mental Health Association.