Blaze close sports centre for a day
The Sean Kelly Swimming & Sports Centre was closed for a day over the weekend because of a fire that destroyed a portacabin at the rear of the centre. Carrick-on-Suir Garda Station said they were not investigating the cause of the fire as the Fire Service was satisfied it started internally in the portacabin and was not started maliciously.
The emergency services were alerted to the fire at 1.43am on Saturday. Two fire service units from Carrick-on-Suir attended the blaze and had it under control by 4am.
The blaze destroyed one portacabin, which was used as a canteen, and also destroyed work equipment ranging from lawnmowers to tools stored in an adjoining portacabin, which was also damaged.
A Fire Service spokesman said the blaze didn’t spread to the sports centre building and no one was injured.
The Sean Kelly Centre was closed last Saturday because of the fire but re-opened for business on Sunday.
- Tipperary meet Clare in ladies football u-14 ‘C’ Munster final
- Death of former South Tipperary County Council member
- Glen of Aherlow make top five list of holiday destinations in the country
- Coroner warns financial institutions not to harasss people in debt
- Farmers urged to submit single farm payment form
Search for a job
Weather for Clonmel
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North