The following seven people were nominated for the March ‘Fethard Sports Achievement Award’, promoted by Butler’s Sports Bar in Fethard. The aim is to recognise and reward sporting achievement be it at participation, coaching or administration level. Nominees must be over 18 and from Fethard parish, work in Fethard, live in Fethard (play for Fethard teams) or from Fethard but participate in sport elsewhere.
(1) Niall Higgins – In a recent inter pub darts tournament Niall achieved a remarkable 24 wins out of 24 while claiming victory in the competition.
(2) Claire Annan – A Belfast native who lives and works locally. She recently rode her first ever Point to point winner at Horse and Jockey on board Colemans Abbey a locally trained horse.
(3) Martin Fennessy – A well renowned boxing coach. His Fethard connection is one of his young prodigies Jack Connolly recently won a Munster title U/18 in the 60kg class.
(4) Jimmy Kelly – Another first for Jimmy. He rode his first ever Point-to-Point winner on board his own horse ‘Out Of The Way’ at a recent meeting in Bennettsbridge Co. Kilkenny.
(5) Kelly Anne Nevin – A member of the Tipperary class 4 badminton team who won Munster and All Ireland titles recently. In the All Ireland series played at NUIG they overcame teams from Galway, Meath and Wexford on route to victory.
(6) Mouse Morris – Mouse saddled three horses at Cheltenham recently, all finishing very creditable seconds. The horses involved were First Lieutenant, Rule The World and Bailey Green.
(7) Kart Paalma – A native of Estonia with strong links to Fethard and Fethard Athletics Club. On St. Patrick’s Day she completed the Barcelona marathon in a very creditable time of 4hrs and 35mins.
Prizegiving will take place at Butler’s Sports Bar on Friday next April 5 at 10pm.