McGrath welcomes appointment of contractor for Ballylynch

The appointment of a contractor for the Ballylynch regeneration works has been warmly welcomed by Deputy Mattie McGrath.

The appointment of a contractor for the Ballylynch regeneration works has been warmly welcomed by Deputy Mattie McGrath.

A major funding package of €2.76m. for the Ballylynch estate in Carrick on Suir, which contains 168 homes, was announced last year.

“I was delighted in January 2011 when the details of the investment were announced. The delays in the tender process have been very frustrating for the residents and everyone involved in the project and I hope that works will now begin without any further delay,” he said.

“This funding represents a major government commitment in the current economic climate. It will improve the quality of the housing and the physical layout of the estate, which will help to tackle anti-social behaviour in the area,” said the Deputy.

“The regeneration which is now due to start on May 2 will also provide opportunities to stimulate local employment, bringing added benefits for the community,” he said.

“I wish the works well and want to thank all of those involved at government and council level and also the residents for their ongoing patience”.