The August Bank Holiday Mass is celebrated on the hilltop overlooking Clonmel on the site of the Holy Year Cross, which was erected at Cnoc a Chomortais, or Scrouthea Hill, on August 20 1950.
The Cross was installed at a height of just over 1,000 feet above sea level.
A hole approximately 5 feet deep had been dug by a team of volunteers early in the month and a procession to carry the Cross to the hill left Ss Peter and Paul’s Church on Sunday, August 20.
A sense of anticipation, enthusiasm and excitement had gripped the town in the days leading to the event.
An estimated 3,000 people took part in the procession from the church, through the town and to the hilltop. They were led by The Boys Club Band and followed by a representative gathering including members of Clonmel Corporation, local choral societies, church choirs, Order of St. John, Order of Malta, the army, sporting bodies, the business community and the people of the town.
The Cross was blessed by Very Rev. Dean Byrne, Parish Priest of Ss Peter and Paul’s and carried by relays of volunteers. Dean Byrne read a letter from The Vatican bestowing a blessing on the proceedings.