Nine people were nominated for the April ‘Fethard Sports Achievement Award’, promoted by Butler’s Sports Bar. The aim is to recognise and reward sporting achievement be it at participation, coaching or administration level. Nominees must be over 18 and from Fethard parish, work in Fethard, live in Fethard (play for Fethard teams) or from Fethard but participate in sport elsewhere.
(1) Willie McGarry – Continued his successful darts year with a victory in the Tipperary Masters in Templemore. He beat fellow Tipp player Gerry O Hara 5-3 in the final.
(2) Aine Doocey – This is Aine’s first season racing and so far has achieved some very strong results. 4th in the county masters 6K in Ballingarry, silver medallist at the same event over-35 and 4th in the county novice 3k held at Moyne.
(3) Paul Tobin – Paul is coach to a very successful Taekwondo school in Fethard. At the recent ITF Ireland cup held in Waterford some of his charges collected a haul of two gold, one silver and one bronze medals (Laura Ryan, Aine Ryan and Owen Byrne).
(4) Claire Annan – Another success for Claire this month on the point-to-point field. Her mount Ashdale Lad was a winner at Loughbrickland for owner Nessa Toher of Enniskillen College.
(5) Noreen Harrington – Again a success story for Fethard Athletic Club. Noreen was 4th in the over-50 section at the county masters held in Ballingarry. She was also a member of the over-45 gold medal team at the same meeting, the first ladies senior title for Fethard in over 30 years.
(6) Mouse Morris – Rounded off a great year for his stable with victory in the prestigious Bet Fred Bowl chase (Grade 1) at Aintree with his horse First Lieutenant.
(7) Dylan Fitzgerald – Dylan is a member of Cahir Park soccer team who completed a treble this year. They were successful in the Paddy Purtill Cup, Division 1 Shield and Division 1 League winners which sees them competing in the TSDL Premier League next season.
(8) Hugh O’Connor – Fethard Rugby Club are making great strides forward particularly at under age level. Hugh is coach to the U15 side which recently contested an East Munster final losing narrowly to a strong Dungarvan side.
(9) Imelda Vaughan – Joined Fethard Athletic Club this year and already has made an impact claiming bronze at the Tipperary masters over-50 and was also part of the over-45 gold medal winning team already mentioned.
The April winner will be announced at a function in Butler’s Sports Bar this coming Friday, May 3, at 10pm.