More than E37,500 has been given to local charities in the past year by the Clonmel Vintage and Classic Car Club.
The funds from this year’s club Vintage Rally were distributed recently at the Cluain Centre in Nelson Street. The delighted recipients were Place 4U (E8,500), South Tipperary MS (E8,500) and the Cancer CARE Centre (E5,500).
The club was established last year by a small, energetic and hard working group of Tipperary vintage car enthusiasts. Shortly after their establishment they held their first major event at Powerstown Park, Clonmel.
The second annual Clonmel Vintage and Classic Car show was another great success when it was held once again at Powerstown Park Racecourse in May. The spectacle is fast becoming one of the premier events on the Irish vintage car circuit. On Saturday more than 100 cars, the oldest of which was a 1906 Berliet, traversed the roads of South Tipperary and Kilkenny, including a stop at Mount Juliet before returning to Hotel Minella.
On Sunday more than 300 exhibitors, with models ranging from the early 1900s to the 1980s, ensured there was plenty to keep the motoring enthusiast occupied. The major raffle prize of the day was a 1968 Triumph Herald 1200 won by the Collins family of Carrigawilliam, Lisronagh, Clonmel.
The results of this hard work, dedication and organisation by the small committee were enjoyed recently with the handing over of funds to the three deserving charities.
Next year the Clonmel Club will hold its annual event on the May Bank Holiday weekend.