DCSIMG

Joint Libraries Committee holds final meeting

The final meeting of the County Tipperary Joint Libraries Committee took place earlier this month.

The body no longer exists following the amalgamation of North and South County Councils.

County Tipperary Joint Libraries Committee was formed on January 1, 1927 to be the joint body which would direct the progress of the public library service in Tipperary on behalf of 
the two Ridings, acting as a distinct Library Authority right down to the 
present day.

Appointments to the twenty one member Library Committee were made by the County Councils, with eleven appointed by South Tipperary County Council and ten appointed by North Tipperary County Council.

The Joint Libraries Committee has provided a progressive and pro-active countywide library service and, since 1982, has 
overseen an infrastructural programme that has 
delivered new public libraries in Clonmel, Carrick-on-Suir, Roscrea, Nenagh, Cashel, Templemore 
and Thurles.

These essential public services are a direct result of the vision and commitment of the elected members of both North and South Tipperary and the Joint Libraries Committee, backed by the substantial financial 
support of both County Councils and the Department of the Environment, Community and Local 
Government.

The final meeting of the Committee took place on March 6, 2014, chaired by Cllr. Siobhán Ambrose.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page