New Year, new car! If you are thinking of selling on your old car in exchange for a new model, make sure you get the best price you possibly can, by following some simple tips from the Windsor Motor Group, Ireland’s favourite car dealers.
Here, Windsor Motors brings you their checklist of top 5 tips to make sure your used car can reap its potential value.
1. Clean your car, inside and out! While this may seem the most obvious to many, often times the importance of a clean vehicle to buyers can be overlooked by sellers – after all, first impressions are everything. First, use a good quality car shampoo to wash the car, followed by a car wax to buff and shine the exterior – this can help reduce the prominence of any minor scratches or marks. Hoover the interior, including seats, to get rid of any dust or dirt and finish by polishing the dashboard with a quality dashboard cleaner. Give your wheels some TLC too as these are important to prospective buyers – if you have alloy wheels, treat and shine them with a special alloy wheel cleaner.
2. Documentation – make sure all documentation is up to date and ready to pass on to the new owner. This includes the car’s tax book, NCT certificate and an up-to-date service history of the vehicle.
3. Service – giving your car a service (at your local Windsor garage, with prices starting from €139) can often be a key selling tool for your motor as it gives the buyer confidence and reassurance in the vehicle. This shows that the car is healthy, well maintained and ready to pass onto the new owner. Even simply by having clean oil in your car can increase its attractiveness to buyers.
4. Do your research – investigate the market to gauge an asking price for your car by comparing the prices of similar models to your vehicle. This will help ensure that you don’t undervalue your car and you negotiate the best price possible with your buyer.
5. Finance – never sell a car if finance is still owed on the vehicle. If you are seriously considering selling your car with outstanding finance, be sure to check with the financial company before doing so.
If you are considering selling your used car, Windsor garages nationwide are also buying used cars registered from 2006 upwards. For more information on selling or trading in your used car, or buying a new or used vehicle in 2013, visit your local Windsor Motors garage or go online to www.windsor.ie today.