Arravale and Galtees draw in West Tipperary intermediate hurling

Arravale Rovers and Galtee Rovers drew 0-12 to 1-9 in the West Tipperary intermediate hurlinig championship at Golden on Saturday evening.

Arravale Rovers and Galtee Rovers drew 0-12 to 1-9 in the West Tipperary intermediate hurlinig championship at Golden on Saturday evening.

Galtee Rovers’ Colin Morrissey hit a mighty point from about eighty metres for the equaliser in injury time but unfortunately for him it was all in vain because Galtee needed to win in order to continue in the competition. The result of the game, plus Sean Treacy’s defeat of Rockwell Rovers in the other game at the weekend, means that Sean Treacy’s go straight through to the final and await the winners of Arravale and Rockwell Rovers. Galtee Rovers are eliminated.

Arravale had the breeze in their favour in the first half and dominated the game during the first ten minutes, scoring two points in the process. Galtee gradually made an impact on the game and by the end of the first quarter they had also scored two points, and trailed Arravale by 0-3 to 0-2.

Donough Leahy put Arravale further ahead with a point in the twentieth minute but, three minutes later, Galtee got a great boost when Denis Peters scored a great goal. He grabbed the ball about twenty metres from the Arravale goal, shook off the attentions of two defenders and crashed the ball home for a goal. The score was followed soon after by a fine point from Pa Morrissey and Tony O’Brien completed their scoring with a pointed free in the thirty-first minute.

Arravale had only one point during the final ten minutes to leave them trailing by 1-4 to 0-5 at the interval.

It looked at this stage that Galtee had the edge in the game and that they would be helped by the breeze in their favour in the second-half.

If the first half had shown all of Galtee Rovers fighting qualities, the second-half was to reveal that Arravale were also made of sterner stuff. They dug in and gave a great performance against the breeze. They were helped by a sterling performance from Richie Lohan who excelled with great blocking and clearing.

At the other end of the field Timmy Dalton made a significant contribution with five points four of them from frees.

The result was that Arravale had Galtee on the back foot for most of the half, forcing them to grab the equaliser in added-on time.

As well as Richie Lohan and Timmy Dalton Arravale got impressive displays from Ger Mulhair, Stephen Spillane and Robbie Kiely. For Galtee Rovers Colin Morrissey gave an outstanding display and he was followed closely by brother, Pa. Others to impress were Anthony Boles and Conor O’Sullivan.

A minute’s silence was observed before the start of the game in memory of young Alan Quirke, Lattin-Cullen, who died in tragic circumstances recently.

Arravale Rovers: Peter Mulhair, Richie Lohan, John Hayes, Stephen Spillane, Ger Mulhair, Robbie Kiely, Roger O’Connor (0-1), Shane Leahy, Paul Ryan, Sean O’Meara (0-1), Donagh Leahy (0-3), Paddy Dalton, Timmy Dalton (0-7), Ger O’Dwyer, Brian Lowry. Subs: Thomas Gleeson for Sean O’Meara, Stephen Quinn for Brian Lowry, Damian Kiely for Paddy Dalton, Darren Lowry for Ger O’Dwyer.

Galtee Rovers: Eoin White, Seamus Moloney, Andrew Morrissey, Anthony Boles, Eamonn O’Connell, Colm O’Sullivan, Mark O’Brien, Pa Morrissey (0-3), Liam Kavanagh (0-1), Damien Burke (0-1), Vinny Murphy, Tony O’Brien (0-2), Denis Peters (1-0), Colin Moirrissey (0-1), Christopher O’Halloran. Subs: David Morrissey (0-1) for Christopher O’Halloran, David Byron for Vinny Murphy.

Referee: John McCormack (Kickhams)