Goals win it for Sean Treacys over Kilsheelan-Kilcash

In the second round of the County Tipperary Intermediate Hurling championship Sean Treacy’s beat Kilsheelan-Kilcash, 3-9 to 0-12.

In the second round of the County Tipperary Intermediate Hurling championship Sean Treacy’s beat Kilsheelan-Kilcash, 3-9 to 0-12.

Kilsheelan opened the scoring in the fifth minute with a point by Alex Harte. Full forward Ollie Carr responded with a goal for Sean Treacy’s. Adrian Walsh pointed for the South side following a neat pass from Tommy Ryan and this was quickly followed by a long range Bill Maher point to tie things up after ten minutes.

In the next attack Sean Treacy’s Ollie Carr, lurking at the edge of the square, made no mistake to raise another green flag for his side. Adrian McGuire and Niall Walsh both pointed for Kilsheelan to narrow the gap. Centre back Sean Ryan advanced and following some good passing movements he sent the ball to the back of the net for his side’s third goal.

With twenty minutes gone, Sean Treacy’s registered their first point of the afternoon when Jody Ryan pointed a free. Further points were scored by Tom Ryan and Declan Hickey to increase the West side’s advantage. Kilsheelan’s Alex Harte sent a sideline ball, against the wind, over the bar. Ian Coughlan, in the Kilsheelan goal, brought off a good save and Tommy Ryan, from way out sent the final score of the half over the bar to leave his side trailing by 3-3 to 0-7 at the interval.

On the resumption Kilsheelan introduced Eoin Kehoe. They added to their account with a point by Adrian Walsh which was cancelled out within seconds by centre forward Jody Ryan. Alex Harte had a pointed free for Kilsheelan. Treacy’s had three unanswered points, from frees courtesy of Jody Ryan. Good teamwork by Tommy Ryan and Bill Maher delivered to Eoin Kehoe who sent over another point for Kilsheelan. Paul Shanahan extended his side’s lead with a point. Treacys’ lost Jamie O’Toole to a straight red card. Paul Shanahan and John Kehoe traded points. Substitute Colin Gleeson had the last score of the game for Kilsheelan with a pointed free and as the final whistle sounded the scoreline read 3-9 to 0-12.

Sean Treacy’s laid the foundation for this victory in the first half with their three goal tally. Kilsheelan will be extremely disappointed to have conceded them as they found it difficult to reduce the deficit. Credit to them for working hard throughout and they can look forward with confidence.

Sean Treacy’s: Seamus Butler, Liam Nolan, Sean Kennedy, Simon Kennedy, Denis Stapleton, Sean Ryan 1-0, Ger O’Toole, Tom Hickey, Paudie Ryan, Declan Hickey 0-1, Jody Ryan 0-5, Tom Ryan 0-1, Paul Shanahan 0-2, Ollie Carr 2-0 and Jamie O’Toole.

SUBS: Sean Hickey, Darragh Kennedy, and Donnacha O’Brien.

Kilsheelan-Kilcash: Ian Coughlan, David Corcoran, Jimmy Ryan, Kevin Guiry, Adrian Mc Guire 0-1, Shane Prendergast, Conor Davin Murphy, Willie Ryan, Tommy Ryan 0-1, Edward Sweeney, Niall Walsh 0-1, Bill Maher 0-1, Alex Harte 0-3, Adrian Walsh 0-2 and John Kehoe 0-1.

SUBS: Eoin Kehoe 0-1, Colin Gleeson 0-1, Kevin Larkin and Barry Cloona.

Referee: Kieran Delaney