Pictured at the awards launch are: Michelle Toner, Head of CSR, eir, Brendan Courtney, Age Action Ambassador and MC of the 2018 awards, John Church, CEO, Age Action, and Betty Smith, 2017 winner
Open eir is delighted to announce that nominations are open for people in Tipperary to enter the 2018 open eir Silver Surfer Awards. This is the second year the company will sponsor these awards, which are run in conjunction with Age Action. The awards recognise the online achievements of older people using technology as well as the volunteers who teach these skills to thousands of older people across Ireland.
Recent CSO figures show that almost half of Irish people aged over 60 have never used the internet, a disturbing statistic in an increasingly online society. Open eir and Age Action are working to change this and to open up the online world for older people in Ireland.
The overall aim of the open eir Silver Surfer Awards is to raise awareness among older people of the benefits of getting online and to encourage those who are not online to give it a try by celebrating those older people already showing the way. These awards also highlight the positive impact being online makes to everyday life – whether that’s learning new skills, running a business, staying in touch with family and friends or getting to grips with social media.
The six categories for the 2018 open eir Silver Surfer Awards are:
• The Getting Started IT Award – An older person who is new to technology and has overcome challenges to become an IT user.
• Hobbies on the Net Award – An older person who uses the internet to pursue their passion or hobby, or who uses IT for communication and social networking.
• Golden IT Award – An individual over the age of 80 who uses technology to enhance their life.
• Community Champion IT Award – An older person who uses the internet to benefit their community locally or nationally
• The IT Enthusiast Award – The ‘Give it a Go’ older person who embraces the internet or technology with a sense of fun and adventure.
• IT Tutor(s) of the Year Award – An individual or group of any age who provide voluntary support to older learners.
Nominations for the awards are open from today. The closing date for entries is Wednesday, 21st February 2018. Nominations can be made through the Age Action website (www.ageaction.ie). The awards ceremony takes place in eir’s Head Office, 1HSQ, on Tuesday, 17th April 2018.