Flying start to the year for Cahir Park

Sunday January 8 TSDL Premier League Cahir Park 5 Wilderness Rovers 2

Sunday January 8 TSDL Premier League Cahir Park 5 Wilderness Rovers 2

With no game in December, the A team started the New Year in flying fashion with a performance full of heart and determination against this season's surprise Premier League team Wilderness Rovers. 2011 has certainly looked favourably on the Park with three games played for senior sides, three wins and fourteen goals.

Cahir signalled their intentions early with Stephen Burke and Andy Fitzpatrick going close in the opening stages. Rovers, not in third place for nothing, showed some of their steel with a penetrative attack allowing them in on goal with a quarter-hour gone, the ball finishing in the net only to be ruled for one of many offsides.

After good work by Man of the Match James McGrath - bossing the right wing - Colin Darmody had a shot on goal which brought the best out of James Crotty in the Wildies goal.

On 22 minutes a testing shot from Paul Sweeney had debutant goalkeeper Colm Nugent stretching to tip over for a corner, a set-piece always dangerous with marksman Jonas Kerr around.

Five mins later a Shane Murphy interception on the left was crossed with purpose towards Burke and McGrath, the latter rifling home to the delight of the home crowd.

Searching for a quick equalizer the Clonmel side had Nugent at his best again from a free. Keeping up the pressure, the Wilderness were caught on the break with seven mins to go before the break. It was Groundhog Day with Keith McGuire finding Murphy to cross from a similar angle as first time to see McGrath adding a second from close range, the ball sliding inside the far post. In a performance full of intent, the back-four of Barry McCormack and Dean Lonergan flanked by an evergreen James Darcy and highly effective Gavin Berry, held their resolve as Rovers turned the screw to reduce the deficit. It wasn't to be however and it was indeed at the other end that the lead could actually have been increased with Darcy stunning Crotty with a powerful drive from the edge of the area to bring an end to first half proceedings.

Tom Ryan and Paul Conway's forces weathered the storm with an expected early onslaught in the first third of the second half - Thomas Doyle, Kerr and David McSherry all taking turns to trouble Nugent from various angles and McCormack having to clear an Eric Keane effort off the line.

With Andy Fitzpatrick marauding down the left wing always a nightmare for Stephen Hennessy, a fine through ball from him found Colin Darmody who played Murphy in from the right only to see the attempt bounce on to the crossbar.

Persistency paid off for the visitors on 58 with Sweeney finishing strongly. It looked like this might be the catalyst for a changed performance from Rovers but the Park, with a new-found vigour in their play, were not letting this one slip.

Fresh legs introduced in the form of Jason Coffey and Eric Flannery added to the determined effort and the former was involved to pass to McGrath on the right to cross for Murphy to power home a header from three yards and put two between the sides once again.

Coffey and Flannery combined for another shot on goal before a crazy final three minutes provided three goals - the first no more than a consolation for a dejected Rovers whilst Burke at the other end wormed his way through four tackles before finishing confidently underneath the keeper's despairing dive. Adding the final nail to the coffin, Burke was on hand again to complete his brace finishing with aplomb a cross from the left. Wilderness left disappointed, having fought a good fight, the home side can look forward to a trip next Sunday to second-place St Michaels, if it's to be, in nothing but buoyant mood.

Cahir Park AFC: Colm Nugent, James Darcy, Barry McCormack, Dean Lonergan, Gavin Berry; James McGrath, Keith McGuire, Colin Darmody, Andy Fitzpatrick; Stephen Burke, Shane Murphy. Subs: Jason Coffey for Darmody, Eric Flannery for McGuire.

Sunday 9 January

TSDL Division Three

Kilbehenny Celtic 4 Cahir Park B 5

Kilbehenny opened the scoring after 15 minutes with a shot from just inside the box.

Cahir Park B pressure paid off on the half hour mark when Anthony Ward got on to the end of a Shane Ryan cross to finish to the net.

Five minutes into the second half the Park took the lead when Anthony Ward's shot from 20 yards found the bottom corner of the net.

Cahir pushed on and a great cross from Michael Darcy was met by Eamon Wootten who made it 3-1.

Kilbehenny came back to make it 3-2 but Cahir went straight up the field and Eamon Wootten got his second and Cahir Park's fourth after 70 minutes.

Kilbehenny never gave in and they pulled another one back through a defensive blunder with 10 minutes left

on the clock.

Adam Karnia made it 5-3 on his debut for Cahir Park with five minutes remaining but Kilbehenny got another in the 88th minute to leave it 5-4 at the finish.


The Cahir Park Bowls Club continues very successfully at Cahir Park AFC clubhouse every Tuesday and Thursday with afternoon and evening sessions both days. New members are always welcome.

Contact Pat Kinsella or Cahir Park AFC for further details.