In June 1968 Fr. John McGrath, a native of Moycarky was ordained a priest in Thurles Cathedral. Fifty years later Fr. John is parish priest of Mullinahone and has been since September 1992 which is almost 26 years ago.
Back in 1895 which is 123 years ago Fr. (later Canon) Walter Cantwell was appointed parish priest of Mullinahone. He was followed as parish priest by Fr. (later Canon) Thomas O’Meara in 1917. He was with us until 1942. Our next parish priests were Fr. William O’Brien for seven years, Canon Michael Holloway for thirteen years, Fr. Edmond Cahill for six weeks and Fr. Philip Noonan for twelve years until he transferred to Fethard in 1974.
Fr. (later Canon) Henry Nash became our parish priest and later our associate pastor until his death in 1997.
As mentioned Fr. McGrath has been our parish priest for the last 26 years since 1992.
It is interesting to note that four of our parish priests in the 123 years that have gone by since 1895 have served us for a total of 96 of those years while the other four Fathers O’Brien, Holloway, Cahill and Noonan were with us for only 27 of those years which is only a year longer than the 26 years of Fr. McGrath.
Looking back through the dioceran records, it would seem that only one parish priest has served us longer than Fr. McGrath and that was Fr. (later Archdeacon) Patrick Fox who was our parish priest from 1780 to 1824 a total of 44 years.
We congratulate Fr. McGrath on the Golden Jubilee of his ordination and we wish him many more years of service in our midst.