Cashel too strong for
Midleton and reach final

Cashel continued the good start to the season with a good 32-8 win over Midleton in the semi final of the Cork Charity Cup.

Cashel continued the good start to the season with a good 32-8 win over Midleton in the semi final of the Cork Charity Cup.

Played at Spafield in good but wet conditions it was an entertaining game enjoyed by the large crowd which attended.

Cashel drew first blood in a blistering start. After 1 minute they won a lineout on half way. The ball swept threw the hands and Andrew Wallace was on hand to finish the move and score a fine try.

Midleton narrowed the gap to two points seven minutes later with a penalty. Jonathan Ruru restored the Cashel lead again to 5 points with a penalty on 8 minutes. Cashel had the advantage of having played two previous games and it showed. The forward battle was tough but on 18 minutes the Cashel pack exerted further pressure and fed Jonathan Ruru who scored a fine try which he also converted. Danny Lambe added another try on 27 minutes which Ruru converted.

Five minutes before half time Cashel did not clear their lines, Midleton took full advantage and scored a try. Just before the half time break Ruru kicked another penalty. Half Time 25- 8. One would have expected Midleton to wilt but the second half was a much tighter affair. The only score of the second half came after 3 minutes when Jonathan Ruru broke from his own half to put Eoin Laffan in for his first try in senior rugby, on his debut. Cashel utilised the bench with a number of younger players getting some valuable experience. The scoreline flatters Cashel a little and they now await the winners of Cork Con and Highfield in the final which will be played in Cork, on a date yet to be decided. Cashel: H Stanley, N Fitzgerald, D lambe, B Crosse, E O’Connor, K Murphy, J E O’Connor, E Leamy, M Hickey, J Ruru, E Laffan, A O’Donnell, B Silke, A Wallace, P O’Connor, D McGrath, A O’Connor, J Ryan, K Gleeson, I Stanley.

Garryowen Cup: Cashel 6 Nenagh 12

Cashel bowed out of the Garryowen Cup after a narrow defeat to Nenagh at Spafield on Sunday. Both sides played fast open rugby and it was end to end stuff for most of the first half. Kevin Leamy was all over the place at number 8. He carried ball after ball and set up many rucks. Aidan O’Connor and Robin Foote were also playing well. After 33 minutes Cashel lost Aidan O’Connor and Cormac O’Donnell. This was a cruel double blow as both were crucial members of the team and from there on Cashel began to struggle.

Nenagh broke the deadlock after 33 minutes with a penalty and 2 minutes later Tony Hewitt levelled also with a penalty. A further penalty just before half time had Nenagh ahead by 3 at the break. Nenagh stretched their score to 12 points with two penalties on the 53rd and 62nd minutes. Tony Hewitt had the last score of the game, a penalty, which brought the final score to 12-6. For this time of the season it was a game of honest endeavor with much room for improvement.

Coaches Philip Ryan and James Hannigan have the ability to get the best out of this team and have laid out an ambitious plan for the season.

Cashel: I Stanley, S Nolan, C O’Donnell, K Gleeson, K Sweeney, R Foote, A O’Connor, K Leamy, T Flynn, D McGrath T Kerwick, G McGlinchey, J Ryan, T Hewitt M O’Connor, J J O’Connor, E Carty, D O’Brien.