The following nine nominations were received for the May ‘Fethard Sports Achievement Award’, promoted by Butler’s Sports Bar in Fethard. The aim is to recognise and reward sporting achievement be it at participation, coaching or administration level. Nominees must be over 18 and from Fethard parish, work in Fethard, live in Fethard (play for Fethard teams) or from Fethard but participate in sport elsewhere.
(1) Stephanie Johnstone – Second time nomination for this local athlete. During May she had some very strong performances including 2 seconds in her category in Clonmel and Ballylinnen County Laois as well as a 3rd overall in Wexford.
(2) Joe Murphy – Local horse trainer who had a great victory during May with his charge Euphrasia winning a Group 3 race at Naas racecourse Co. Kildare.
(3) Mary Kenrick – Mary kept up her winning ways on the golf course with victory in the ladies McGarry cup at Slievenamon. The McGarry cup was presented in memory of Marys nephew Johnny who was tragically killed a number of years ago.
(4) Noreen Hackett and Eoin Tynan – Fethard racquetball coaches. Recently two of their young players, Emma Jayne Burke and Megan Hackett, won gold and silver respectively at the all Ireland championships played in Templederry.
(5) Annette Connolly, Mark Prout and Michael Spillane – Coaches to Fethard under 12 girls football team who recently made history by becoming the first ever community games team to win a South final.
(6) Paul Kavanagh – Head coach to Fethard Rugby club under 14 team who recently completed a fantastic year for the club with victory in the East Munster cup. The victory came with wins against Dungarvan, Nenagh, Thurles and Waterford. Its worth noting that several of the same players were earlier in the year narrowly beaten by Dungarvan in the under 15 final.
(7) Fintan Rice – A well-known local athlete who had some memorable performances during May. He won the Ballynonty 3 miler, 4th in Cahir, 5th in the county senior hosted by Fethard AC and was narrowly beaten in the last 100 metres of the recent Walls of Fethard 4 miler where he finished second.
(8) Kay Spillane – Captain of the Fethard ladies football squad who recently won their league beating Thurles, Cahir and Mullinavat along the way. This is the first piece of silverware of the year and augers well for the championship.
(9) Bernadette O’Meara and Michael Hayes – Coaches to Fethard under 14 ladies football team. Nominated in recognition of the fact that 5 of their young lady footballers recently played on a successful Tipperary team that won a Munster title against Clare. The Fethard players in question are Megan Coen, Molly O’Meara, Ciara Hayes, Katie Davey and Laura Stocksborough.
The May winner will be announced at a function in Butlers Sports Bar on Friday June 14th at 10pm. All are welcome.