Darren Sweeney scores four as Suirside hammer Clonmel Celtic B

Darren Sweeney (Suirside FC) and Simon Aherne (Clonmel Celtic B) in action during Sunday's Tipperary Cup 1st round tie. Darren Sweeney scored four times for Suirside in their 7-0 swamping of the Clonmel side.
St Nicholas 4 – 3 Burncourt Celtic

St Nicholas 4 – 3 Burncourt Celtic

The home team made hard work of this win but moved into the next round of the after a good performance on Sunday morning last.

Having a topsy turvy season Nicholas’ went one down to their lower league opposition after 15 minutes when Liam Byrne took a pass from Pa Ryan to put the visitors a goal up. This spurred the hosts into a flurry of activity and they were on par ten minutes later when Philip Doherty finished a cross from Alan O Riordan to the net. Doherty doubled the lead with his second of the day on the half hour, and a John Joe O’Brien penalty five minutes later seemed to have made this game a comfortable one for the home side.

It got even better five minutes after the break when Doherty completed his hat-trick again combining with O Riordan. However, Burncourt staged something of a comeback and two goals from John Mc Mahon on 65 minutes, and a penalty on 80 caused jitters amongst the home support. A penalty miss in the 90th minute did nothing to calm these jitters but St Nicholas held on in the end to progress to round two.

St Kierans 0 – 5 Clonmel Town

Clonmel Town continued their excellent form with a comfortable win against a Kieran’s team who may have had next weekend’s Shield final on their minds.

Richie Crowe opened the scoring for the visitors when he blasted a shot home after doing all the approach work himself. Kieran’s were denied by a fantastic save from Evan Comerford. This roused Town and they tightened up considerably to get to the break a goal ahead. They cut loose in the second period, starting six minutes in when Emmet Johnson pirouetted inside the box and shot past a stationary keeper. Four minutes later, the host’s centre-half put through his own goal, and Clonmel relaxed into a pattern of good incisive play. They made it four from the penalty spot on 75 minutes through Comerford, and Richie Crowe finished the scoring with a fifth without reply ten minutes before the end.