Cahir Park sail through to Cup Final

Cahir Park defeated Galbally United by an impressive five goals to one on Sunday to reach the final of the Paddy Purtill Cup.

Cahir Park defeated Galbally United by an impressive five goals to one on Sunday to reach the final of the Paddy Purtill Cup.

The Cahir side will now play the winners of the other semi-final between Ballingarry Albion and Rosegreen Rangers .

An early error by Galbally’s keeper almost led to Norman O’Brien scoring Cahir’s first goal after three minutes. With a open goal at his mercy, O’Brien’s effort was unfortunate to come back off the left-hand post.

This set the scene for an early onslaught on the visitor’s goal. Paddy O’Donnell, Jason Hahessay and Man of the Match James Darcy played particularly well.

O’Donnell scored Cahir’s first goal at the 12 minute mark, -leaving the keeper stranded as he weaved through the box after assistance from Eamonn Wootton.

Cahir have yet to have a goal scored against them at home this year. One of the main reasons for this is the outstanding performances of Aaron Wall in goal.

Wall saved a 14th minute penalty awarded after John O’Connor upended Quin Perry in the 18-yard box. Wall was also first to the rebound to maintain his impressive record.

For the next ten minutes, Cahir were guilty of allowing United put some nice passing moves together, which did troubled the Cahir Park defence.

However, with Michael Grace and Paul Conway very much in control on the sidelines, this situation was not allowed continue for much longer. In one of Cahir Park’s best moves of the match, a second goal was conjured up from the wizardry of Norman O’Brien to set Wootton free in the box to glance the ball home for his 16th goal of the season.

Five minutes later it was 3-0 and effectively over as a contest with Darcy providing the cross for Wooton’s second goal of the game. Indeed, the score could have been higher. An impressive Dean Lonergan came forward from his midfield berth to kick the ball towards the goal but it ended up going just wide.

Two minutes before half time, a defensive error in the Limerickmen’s defence allowed the always-ready O’Donnell to complete his brace of the day.

Dennis Paters had to be strong as Perry made further inroads on the home defence in a purple patch for United early in the second half. On the other side of defence, James McGrath gave a solid performance and fed the ball through to sub Eamonn Gleeson, who put through O’Donnell again to trouble the Galbally backs.

After 73 minutes, Cahir Park were five goals clear.

With further changes allowed debuts for Barry Cooney on the wing and Niall Murphy between the sticks, the game developed into a scrappy affair. There were a series of injuries on both sides.

Galbally did have the last boast with Perry’s quick free deceiving all and ending in the Cahir Park net ending the clean sheet record for home games this season.

The last shot of note on goal was reserved for O’Donnell, his hope of a hat-trick on the day spoiled as the keeper pulled off a fine save to turn it away for a corner.

Cahir Park team: Aaron Wall, James McGrath, Seanie Kiernan, John O’Connor, Dennis Peters, Jason Hahessy, Dean Lonergan, Norman O’Brien, James Darcy, Eamonn Wootton, Paddy O’Donnell

Subs: Eamonn Gleeson for John O’Connor, Barry Cooney for Dean Lonergan, Niall Murphy for Aaron Wall, Daryl Peters